Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Shanghai Dream Food: The Egg McMao / 手抓饼 / Shǒu Zhuā Bǐng

In my search for a good "jian bing" in Shanghai (these are much more popular in Beijing, I gather) I had a classmate describe for me something that she calls the Egg McMao. A Google search reveals that this term has been in use for quite some time, and so I became obsessed with finding the Shanghai Egg McMao. And find it I did.

Describing what the Egg McMao exactly is is a little difficult, but here's a go. Basically, there is a dough-pancake acting as a wrap for the inside ingredients which ends up deliciously tasting as though it's been deep-fried in butter. On top of this is an egg, and you can add things like meat slices, cheese, chopped up green things, and some sauce that reminded me of ketchup. I paid 7 RMB for mine -- a premium over the Beijing Jian Bings that I've had in the past, but worth every bit of it.

I've posted the location of the place on one of my Google Maps. When you go to http://maps.google.com, type in the search "shanghai egg mcmao" and you should get one result. This will show you the location of the Egg McMao that's the tastiest one I've come across so far. (Or click here.)

Otherwise, follow these directions. Coming from the east, anywhere east of People's Square, get onto Huai Hai Lu and continue walking west. Turn left at Song Shan Lu, which is located just before you see the above-road passageway between buildings on opposite sides of the street. Continue down this road, probably past a good number of parked bicycles, until you reach the corner. Just a couple of steps from the corner is a small hole-in-the-wall place which makes the Egg McMao.

And of course the name of the thing isn't "Egg McMao." A day or two after I made my trek, my Mandarin teacher was able to figure out what we were talking about. It's a "手抓饼 / Shǒu Zhuā Bǐng". I suppose that means it's a relative of the Jian Bing but it isn't exactly the same thing.

Here are some photos that should tickle your tastebuds:

Here's the place at the corner of Song Shan Lu and Tai Cang Lu which serves these things up.


The beginnings of a shou zhua bing:


Filling choices at this place. This guy had a very impressive assortment. I've found one shou zhua bing place that's much closer to my apartment, but they don't have any of the green items (although they apparently serve up "Hawaiian" and "Banana/Cheese" shou zhua bing):


Shou Zhua Bing in-progress:


And even more progress:


Looks like a beautiful, tasty rose, doesn't it?


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kat said...

aaargh post the photo! i was gonna ask people in the office what it was called and write it out for you!

Pravit said...

It's a "手抓饼 / Shǒu Zhuā Bǐng". I suppose that means it's a relative of the Jian Bing but it isn't exactly the same thing.

手 and 抓 mean "hand" and "grabbing", respectively, while 饼 is just a generic term for all manner of fried griddlecake-type foods. So you could translate it roughly as "cake you press together with your hands."